The internet provides an opportunity to enhance students’ learning experiences by providing access to vast amounts of information across the globe. Online communication links students to provide a collaborative learning environment and is intended to assist with learning outcomes. Today’s students are exposed to online communication tools and the internet in their community. Students have the right to expect secure access to these services as part of their learning experiences at Baldivis Secondary College.
Use of the internet and online communication services provided by Baldivis Secondary College is intended for research and learning and communication between students and staff. Access to internet and online communication tools at college will assist students to develop the information and communication skills necessary to use the internet effectively and appropriately.
Responsible use of the services by students, with guidance from academic staff, will provide a secure and safe learning environment.
Students using internet and online communication services have the responsibility to report inappropriate behaviour and material to their supervisors.
Students who use the internet and online communication services provided by Baldivis Secondary College must abide by the Education Department’s conditions of acceptable usage. Students are made aware of the acceptable usage policy each time they log on.
Students should be aware that a breach of this policy may result in disciplinary action in line with their college’s discipline policy.
Access and Security
- Not disable settings for virus protection, spam and filtering that have been applied as a departmental standard.
- Ensure that communication through internet and online communication services is related to learning.
- Keep passwords confidential, and change them when prompted, or when known by another user.
- Use passwords that are not obvious or easily guessed.
- Never allow others to use their personal e‐learning account.
- Log off at the end of each session to ensure that nobody else can use their e‐learning account.
- Promptly tell their supervising teacher if they suspect they have received a computer virus or spam (i.e. unsolicited email) or if they receive a message that is inappropriate or makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Seek advice if another user seeks excessive personal information, asks to be telephoned, offers gifts by email or wants to meet a student.
- Never knowingly initiate or forward emails or other messages containing a message that was sent to them in confidence; a computer virus or attachment that is capable of damaging recipients’ computers; chain letters and hoax emails, or spam, e.g. unsolicited advertising material.
- Ensure that personal use is kept to a minimum and internet and online communication services are generally used for genuine curriculum and educational activities. Use of unauthorised programs and intentionally downloading unauthorised software, graphics or music that is not associated with learning, is not permitted.
- Never send or publish unacceptable or unlawful material or remarks, including offensive, abusive or discriminatory comments, threatening, bullying or harassing another person or making excessive or unreasonable demands upon another person, sexually explicit or sexually suggestive material or correspondence, or false or defamatory information about a person or organisation.
- Never damage or disable computers, computer systems or networks of Baldivis Secondary College
- Ensure that services are not used for unauthorised commercial activities or any unlawful purpose
- Not access Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any other social media platform during school hours.
- Be aware that all use of internet and online communication services can be audited and traced to the internet accounts of specific users.
Privacy and Confidentiality
- Never publish or disclose the email address of a staff member or student without that person’s explicit permission.
- Never reveal personal information including names, addresses, photographs, credit card details and telephone numbers of themselves or others.
- Ensure privacy and confidentiality is maintained by not disclosing or using any information in a way that is contrary to any individual’s interests.
Intellectual Property and Copyright
- Never plagiarize information and will observe appropriate copyright clearance, including acknowledging the author or source of any information used.
- Ensure that permission is gained before electronically publishing users’ works or drawings.
- Always acknowledge the creator or author of any material published.
- Ensure any material published on the internet or intranet has the approval of the principal or their delegate and has appropriate copyright clearance.
Misuse and Breaches of Acceptable Usage
Students are held responsible for their actions while using internet and online communication services.
Students are held responsible for any breaches caused by them allowing any other person to use their e‐learning account to access internet and online communication services.
The misuse of internet and online communication services may result in disciplinary action which includes, but is not limited to, the withdrawal of access to services.
Students will report:
- Any internet site accessed that is considered inappropriate.
- Any suspected technical security breach involving users from other schools, or from outside Baldivis Secondary College.